Dad electrocuted working at school

Much loved: Jason Haslem who died when he was electrocuted at a primary school, below pictured with his wife
Much loved: Jason Haslem who died when he was electrocuted at a primary school, below pictured with his wife
Share this article
Have your say

Gas engineer Jason Haslem, 24, of Studholme avenue, Penwortham, was fixing an appliance at the school in Oldham, Greater Manchester, when he received the fatal shock.

The appliance refurbisher’s death has launched an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) alongside police.

Much loved: Jason Haslem pictured with his wife

Much loved: Jason Haslem pictured with his wife

Mr Haslem, who had two young sons George, 22 months, and Toby, four, was killed while repairing an industrial cooker at Fir Bank Primary School, which his employer Acme Refrigeration called a “tragic incident”.

The family man married wife Jessica last March. In an emotional tribute to her 
husband, Jessica Haslem said: “There was no-one who knew Jason didn’t love him. Absolutely no-one.

“He was the best dad ever. He never questioned my choices and he was 100 per cent hands on with the children.”

Stay-at-home mum Jessica, 25, said: “Jason and I had only been married for 17 months. I wish we had had more time together. We had known each other for six or seven years before that.”

In a tribute on Facebook, she wrote: “I want to thank everyone, from the bottom of my very empty feeling heart, for all of your kindness and thoughts.

“Jason is a very lucky man to be loved by so many, which is a credit to how truly perfect he was.

“ I couldn’t have asked for a better person to dedicate my life to.”

Blackburn-based Acme said in a statement: “It is with enormous sadness that we confirm the death of one of our employees, Jason Haslem.

“This is clearly a tragic incident for everyone at ACME Facilities Group Ltd and for everyone who knew Jason but, above all, our thoughts and profound condolences are with Jason’s wife and family.

“Our priority now is to support them, and Jason’s colleagues, at what is an extremely difficult time.

“It is very important that the circumstances surrounding the incident are thoroughly investigated and we will of course continue to provide all necessary assistance to the authorities involved in that process. It would be wrong to say anything else whilst that investigation takes place.”

Fir Bank headteacher Hazel MacKay said work was being carried out to refurbish the school’s kitchen while pupils were still on summer holiday.

She said: “Our thoughts are with this man’s family at this time and we offer our deepest condolences.”

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said: “At 4.45pm police were called to Fir Bank Primary School following reports a man had been injured in an industrial accident. Officers arrived and discovered a 24-year-old man had been hurt and was unconscious. Paramedics tried to revive him but the man was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.

“At this stage it would appear to be a tragic accident.”

Police confirmed an HSE investigation was under way.

An HSE spokesman said: “We are aware an electrician died after suffering an electric shock. The police are looking at it and if they decide there is no case for corporate manslaughter then they will hand it over to us.”