Cyclist, 13, seriously injured in accident

A brave 13-year-old gives a thumbs up in hospital after cheating death in a road accident at the weekend.

Tuesday, 15th August 2017, 10:47 am
Updated Monday, 11th September 2017, 12:05 pm
Declan is recovering in hospital after the accident (Pic: Rob Brewer)

Cyclist Declan Brewer was airlifted to hospital with serious injuries after being hit by a car in Leyland.

The teenager was comforted at the scene by a good samaritan Tracie Broxton who witnessed the boy’s bike being flung up in the air.

Declan, fromFox Lane, was riding along Leyland Lane when the accident happened at around 3.20pm on SundayThe Leyland St Mary’s Catholic High School student was taken to Alder Hey Children’s Hospital in Liverpool.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Police said they responded to reports of a collision between a silver BMW and a boy.

They say a vehicle made off from the scene of the accident but a man was later arrested in connection with the incident.

Declan’s dad Rob Brewer said: “He suffered a broken pelvis and a fractured vertebrae along with quite a few bumps and bruises. He’s had a bit of rest through the night but is still very sore.

“We’re still unclear about exactly what happened and we’re awaiting the results of the police investigation.

“We’d like to thank everyone who helped Declan at the scene of the accident and all our well wishers.”

Tracie Broxton, of Leyland, stayed with Declan but said it was “something any mum would do.” She said: “My husband saw the actual impact, I just saw the bike in the air and ran straight over.

“He was shocked and a little aggressive at first which was understandable.

“I tried to keep him calm and awake, talked about my son and football which he doesn’t like but said he played rugby a little.

“He told me his name, address about his mum and dad and he thanked me a few times for staying with him.

“His mouth was full of blood so I told him to check all his teeth were still there which they were.

“His back was awful and a mess, he tried to get up but I told him not to move.”

She continued: “My husband was on the phone to the police, the driver did pull over, saw the damage and drove off,

“We got the reg and then he came back some five to ten minutes later.

“I checked his friends were ok, which they were just in shock as was I.

“I asked his friend to call his mum which he was doing.

“I asked everyone to move back and give us some room. When his mum got there she was obviously very upset and shocked.

“I kept him talking whilst the rapid response checked him over, stayed with him and kept him talking whilst they tried to get him on the board, which was difficult due to being so close to the lamp post at the crossing.

“I gave the police my details and told Declan I had to go now. He thanked me for staying with him again and said it was nice to meet me.

“He was a little excited when he knew the helicopter was coming for him. He said he didnt have any money for petrol for it!

“It was the worst experience I have ever had but am so glad his injuries were not life threatening.

“I also made sure the men around protected his legs as these were still half in the road and I was scared they would get hit again.”

Lancashire Police said a 22-year-old man from Leyland has been arrested on suspicion of failing to stop and causing serious injury.