What are your rights if you feel you have been mistreated by the police?

Not everyone will be happy with their treatment by police, and although individual forces work hard to ensure correct engagement with the public, there will be times when complaints are raised.

Tuesday, 21st August 2018, 11:08 am
Updated Tuesday, 21st August 2018, 12:10 pm
Police forces have complaints procedures

Everyone who is arrested has certain rights, including the right to free legal advice, the right to tell someone where you are, medical advice if you are feeling ill and access to regular food and toilet breaks.

If you are under 18 or a vulnerable adult (usually someone with learning difficulties or mental health problems) you are entitled to have an appropriate adult with you during questioning - either a parent, guardian or social worker.

Read More

Read More
WATCH: Investigation after police officer's 'open handed strike' of 14-year-old ...

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

There are also time limits on how long you can held without being either charged or released.

If you feel you have been mistreated in any way by the police, you should first complain to the police force involved.

If the matter is not resolved to your satisfaction, you can then take your complaint to the Independent Office for Police Conduct, although they will only launch an investigation if you have already raised the matter with the police force involved.

You can also obtain legal advice, although you are unlikely to qualify for Legal Aid and will probably have to pay for a solicitor to examine your case. Some solicitors offer a 'no win, no fee' arrangement.