Two offenders who went on a 'relentless crime spree' across Lancashire and Greater Manchester arrested

Two "prolific offenders" have been arrested after they went on a crime spree across Lancashire and Greater Manchester.

By Sean Gleaves
Tuesday, 11th February 2020, 2:55 pm
Updated Tuesday, 11th February 2020, 3:02 pm

Lee Brown, 26, and Kurtis Nelson, 26, were arrested in January after raiding a number of addresses across Lancashire and Greater Manchester.

The first incident happened at a Costa coffee shop in Ormskirk when three men broke in and stole more than £460 from the safe at around 10pm on January 5.

The offenders then made off from the scene in a white Audi reported stolen from an address in Wigan in December 2019.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Lee Brown and Kurtis Nelson were arrested in January after raiding a number of addresses across Lancashire and Greater Manchester. (Credit: Lancashire Police)

The same offenders were later seen breaking into the Post House Bar in Orrell.

The group smashed a window and stole £200 from a safe and till in the early hours of January 6.

The three men then returned to Ormskirk, breaking into Spit Roast restaurant and stealing cash before accessing the adjoining The Buck I'Th' Vine, setting off an alarm at around 5.20am on January 6.

As police arrived at the scene, one officer was hit on the leg with a crow bar by Nelson as they attempted to arrest two of the men.

One offender made off on foot and Nelson jumped into the Audi which was being driven by Brown.

The Audi was pursued and traced to an address in Kirkby, Liverpool.

Brown and Nelson were arrested and a safe and till drawers from the Spit Roast and Post House Bar were seized from inside the Audi.

Det Insp Steve Monk, of Lancashire Police, said: “Brown and Nelson are brazen and prolific offenders who went on a relentless crime spree targeting a number of addresses, including Ormskirk.

“Thanks to the quick actions of officers, the trio were found caught in the act. Unfortunately, one of the offenders made off from the scene, but Nelson and Brown were pursued and later arrested in the Liverpool area.

“This was a great cross-border response with excellent work by all involved.

“The officer attacked by Nelson thankfully suffered minor injuries and soon returned to work.”

Nelson, of Kemsley Road, Liverpool, and Brown, of Muirhead Avenue, Liverpool, were both charged with three burglary offences and an offence of handling stolen goods.

Brown was also charged with driving while disqualified, dangerous driving, driving without insurance and failing to stop.

Nelson was given a further charge for assault with intent to resist arrest.

Both pleaded guilty last month (January), with Brown jailed for 50 weeks and Nelson jailed for 38 weeks at Preston Crown Court yesterday (Monday, February 10).