Thug harassed victim

James Lambert, 22, who broke his restraining order by visiting his ex-girlfriend's home
James Lambert, 22, who broke his restraining order by visiting his ex-girlfriend's home
Share this article
Have your say

A man has been found guilty of breaking a restraining order put in place to protect his ex-girlfriend after he bit her face and threatened to kill her.

James Lambert, 22, has a five-year order which bans him from contacting his victim and her father or entering Lacy Avenue in Penwortham.

It was imposed at Preston Crown Court in June after he pleaded guilty to assault, threats to kill and witness intimidation, following an incident in January this year.

Recorder Guy Mathieson also handed Lambert a 12-month sentence, suspended for two years, on June 22.

But during a trial at Preston Magistrates’ Court yesterday, Lambert’s victim, her mother and her sister all testified that they had seen him outside their home on August 16.

John Abbott, prosecuting, said Lambert, of Emmanuel Street, Preston, was heard shouting his victim’s name at around 10pm.

She went to the window, could see Lambert’s face and recognised his clothing as he sat on a bike under a streetlight by their garden hedge.

She had a panic attack, her mother rang the police and the pair went upstairs, where her mum looked out of a window.

She said: “I am 100% certain it was James Lambert.”

The victim’s sister also saw Lambert as she came home, and while giving a statement to a police officer in her conservatory, saw him again at her back fence “glaring” at her.

Simon Gretton, defending, said there were discrepancies in the witnesses’ evidence.

Lambert claimed he spent the evening drinking with friends and between 9.30pm and 10.30pm was visited by a G4S security officer who removed his electronic tag.

He told the court that between 10.30pm and 11.15pm he went on his bike to meet a friend at Preston Bus Station, which could be seen on CCTV.

However, none of his friends gave evidence and G4S could not confirm his account.

Mr Abbott said “There is nobody here to give evidence to say he was where he says he was.”

Magistrates said: “We’ve heard your evidence and found it sparse in details of activity during the time in question.

“You were not able to provide the exact time G4S took your tag off or what time you left the house to go to the bus station.”

Lambert was remanded in custody and the case was committed for sentencing at Preston Crown Court on October 23.