Thief who burgled businesses including cash strapped RSPCA in Preston jailed

A man who burgled businesses and community premises around Preston - including the cash strapped RSPCA - has been jailed for 35 months.

Monday, 16th April 2018, 10:05 am
Updated Monday, 16th April 2018, 10:11 am
Leroy Allen

Leroy Nathan Allen, 31, of no fixed abode, committed the burglaries during a two month theft spree.

He appeared before Preston’s Sessions House Court after pleading guilty to a string of burglaries in an earlier hearing before Preston magistrates.

Recorder David Potter was told how his latest spate of offending began on December 6 when he stole £100 of goods from TK Maxx and assaulted a man.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

On December 13 last year he broke into the Deepdale Labour and Social Bowling Club and stole cash and alcohol to the value of £1,106.

Two days later he entered the Lloyds Pharmacy at Geoffrey Street Health Centre in the city and stole tramadol capsules, dihydrocodeine tablets and perfume worth £1,854.20.

On Christmas Day Allen turned his attention to the KS Hair Studio on Holme Slack Lane, Holme Slack, Preston.

He stole cash, several pairs of hair straighteners, several pairs of hair clippers, and a nail lamp.

Allen’s crime spree continued on January 21 when he stole £30 from the RSPCA building in Ribbleton during a break in.The court heard on February 1 he entered the premises of biker

shop Ghost Bikes in Mercer Street, Preston, and stole a laptop and a tablet worth £800.

On February 17, he targeted international shipping firm Dragonsea International Limited on Chester Road, Deepdale, Preston.He stole £900 to cash and six mobile phones during the break in.

The wanted criminal was finally arrested a week later on February 23 following a rooftop stand-off with a man in Marl Hill Crescent after a public appeal to find him.

Officers had warned anyone harbouring him that they too would be arrested.

He admits criminal damage in relation to the incident after he destroyed ceiling tiles worth £200.

A helicopter had been called out from the National Police Air Service (NPAS) base in Barton to help search for him.