‘They turned my car into tin cans’

Wrecked Clio
Wrecked Clio
Share this article
Have your say

Not much was left of Mark Unsworth’s prized Clio Sport after a joyrider crashed it into a bus at 70 mph on a housing estate.

But when the 34-year-old tried to retrieve Exhibit A after a judge sent serial offender Steven Reece to jail, he was told there was nothing left at all . . . it had been packed off to the crusher.

Now Mark, from St 
Andrew’s Road, Preston, is 
demanding to know who gave the order for the blue Renault to be scrapped without his knowledge.

“There were personal things in the car, papers and stuff,” he said. “I wanted the alloys off it and also the stereo. They were worth a bit of money. Nobody asked me if I wanted anything from it before they turned it into tin cans.”

The 11-year-old car was wrecked when banned driver Steven Reece took it for a spin without permission from the garage where he worked.

Preston Crown Court heard the mechanic, who had more than 90 previous convictions including dozens of motoring offences, had two passengers in the car when he raced through the city’s Larches Estate, clocking up speeds of around 70mph in a 20mph zone.

Both passengers were seriously injured when the car collided with a parked Transit van and then smashed into the front of a bus. Witnesses said the car had driven up the road “like a bullet.” When tested, Reece was found to be just under the drink-drive limit, but had taken sufficient cannabis to impair his driving ability. He was sent down for three years and four months.

Mark, who had left his car at a local garage for an MOT, said: “You could see from the photos it was a write-off, but they should still have asked my permission before crushing it. The garage said the police had authorised it to be scrapped. But the police told me they hadn’t.

“I’m blazing because that car was my pride and joy. It was my first car and it meant a lot to me. There wasn’t a lot left after the fire brigade had cut the top off to get the injured out. But I would have liked a chance to get my stuff out.”

A police spokesman was unavailable for comment.