Teen jailed for Preston schoolboy stabbing

Dale Warbuton, jailed for wounding with intent
Dale Warbuton, jailed for wounding with intent
Have your say

A teenager who repeatedly stabbed a schoolboy in the back on a Preston street has been jailed for six years.

Today victim Jake Anderson, aged 16, told how he thought he would die after he was knifed in the back eight times as he walked his girlfriend home from school.

His attacker, Dale Warburton, 17, is now facing a six-year extended prison sentence for the horror attack outside a Preston school on January 10 this year.

Warburton rained repeated blows at Jake with the knife, piercing through the Ashton Community Science College pupil’s shirt, school jumper and thick winter coat.

One of the blows was so fierce that despite the protection of Jake’s school uniform, the blade of the knife bent.

Jake suffered a punctured lung and the frenzied attack only stopped when two boys stepped in and took the knife off Warburton.

Yesterday Preston Crown Court heard Jake confronted Warburton, of Cleveden Road, Ingol, close to Our Lady’s Catholic High School in Cadley Causeway because of text messages Warburton sent to a girl they both know.

Warburton tried to board a bus but when the doors did not open he lunged at Jake reigning blows with the knife.

Recorder of Preston Judge Anthony Russell QC, told Warburton: “Your actions in attacking him in the way that you did was out of all proportion to any threat you could have perceived from him and the fact that you had the knife with you is an indication you were looking for trouble. The evidence shows you completely lost your self-control.

“Fortunately others intervened. Ryan Hurst and Ryan Clegg acted with considerable bravery in tackling you and the evidence indicates your attack would have continued had they not done so.”

During the attack the area was busy with several schoolchildren nearby.

The court heard Jake was taken to girlfriend Katy Singleton’s house where her mother - a nurse - stemmed the bleeding from his wounds and contacted the emergency services.

Jake said: “I was so scared. It was the most terrifying thimg that has ever happened to me.

“If it wasn’t for Katy’s mum I don’t know what would have happened. She knew what to do. She wrapped a towel round my chest really tight to stop the bleeding. I kept asking her if I was going to die, and when the paramedics came I was asking them, but she said no.”

Jake was released from hospital after two days and has been left with 
permanent scars although fortunately he suffered no serious internal injuries.

He said: “I can’t find the words to explain how angry I feel towards him,.

“I have had anger problems, stress, my confidence has gone down and I couldn’t concentrate in my exams.”

Jake’s dad Craig, said: “It has been terrible. You get the phone call you dread and they are saying ‘your son’s been stabbed and rushed to hospital’.

“Now it is all over I’m just really happy about the sentence.”

Warburton was initially charged with attempted murder but later pleaded guilty to gausing grievous bodily harm with intent.

Judge Russell QC said: “You have shown yourself to be a dangerous young man and although you claim to have changed since your arrest and detention in custody, given the nature of this case and your history I consider public safety to be an important consideration in this case.”

He jailed Warburton for six years and eight months, adding a further five year extended licence period upon his release.