Second young Blackpool boy injured by tram in same spot outside Queen's Hotel in Promenade

A second boy, aged 10, has been injured by a tram outside the Queens Hotel in Promenade, Blackpool - the same spot where a 14-year-old was critically injured by after becoming trapped under a tram 48 hours earlier.
A second boy, aged 10, has been injured by a tram outside the Queens Hotel in Promenade, Blackpool - the same spot where a 14-year-old was critically injured by after becoming trapped under a tram 48 hours earlier.
0
Have your say

A second young boy has been injured in a collision with a tram in Blackpool.


The 10-year-old boy was injured after being hit by a tram on the Promenade, near the Queen's Hotel in South Shore at 8pm yesterday (August 29).

It is the second collision between a tram and a child - in the same spot - in just 48 hours.

A police spokesman said: "We were called by the ambulance service at 8pm yesterday (Thursday, August 29) to a report that a 10-year-old boy had been in collision with a tram on the Promenade near the Queen’s Hotel.

"He suffered very minor injuries and was treated at the scene.

"It happened in the same place as the one from the other day."

North West Ambulance Service attended and treated the boy at the scene.

An NWAS spokesman said: "An ambulance attended at 7.54pm after reports of a collision between a child and a tram.

"A 10-year-old boy was treated at the scene for minor injuries and issued clinical advice.

"He was not taken to hospital."

Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service were also called to the scene at the request of paramedics.

An LFRS spokesman said: "We were called at 7.59pm yesterday evening.

"One fire engine from South Shore and another from Blackpool attended on request of NWAS, however on arrival our services were not required."

READ MORE: 14-year-boy in critical condition after becoming trapped under tram during Ride the Lights in Blackpool

Blackpool Transport said the boy was hit by the tram after "running out onto the tracks".

A Blackpool Transport Services spokesperson said: "Last night a young boy collided with a tram after running out onto the tracks.

"He was immediately checked over by a member of staff on board.

"Paramedics attended but his parents chose to take him home and thanked us for our swift action.

"While this took place trams were suspended for a short while and a bus replacement service was in use."

Two children have now been injured by trams in the same spot within 48-hours of each other, but Blackpool Council said it does not believe the location to be a factor.

A spokesman for Blackpool Council said: "The circumstances around the two incidents are very different.

"They will both be investigated but at this stage we don’t believe the location played a part in either accident."

On Tuesday, August 27, a 14-year-old boy was seriously injured after becoming trapped under a tram during the Ride the Lights event along the Promenade.

The incident also happened outside the Queens Hotel in Promenade, South Shore at around 9.50pm.

He remains in a critical condition in Alder Hey Children's Hospital.