Preston mum living in fear after blaze ordeal

editorial image
0
Have your say

A mum rescued from a flat fire in Preston with her five year old daughter has spoken of her ordeal.

Firefighters believe Sunday’s blaze, which was in the ground floor of Medway House in Samuel Street, was started deliberately.

The woman, who is in her 20s and does not want to be named, said: “I was inside with my daughter and my dog.

“When I came into my hallway there was smoke coming through the top of my door.”

The woman called the fire brigade who told her to sit outside on her balcony so that she did not breath in the smoke.

She continued: “I was on the phone to my mum trying to keep my daughter and my dog calm thinking how do I get out.

“The dog was trying to protect us and went mental when the fireman came in. He told me I had to stay in until they cleared the smoke. The hallway was black.

“They took about an hour to ventilate the building, I just wanted to get out to see what was going on.

“Eventually they walked us out and I sat in the fire engine to calm down.”

Asked if she had noticed anything suspicious before the fire started, the woman said: “I didn’t hear anything, it was a pram they set light to.

“I’m a bit scared now I just need to move out of here quickly. I didn’t sleep much last night. I’ve lived here all my life and I know everyone but this is just a shock, why would they do that?

“I hope they find the scumbags. My five year old daughter could have been really hurt, she was shaking.”

Six firefighters wearing breathing masks battled the fire in the five-floor block using two hose reels while two families were trapped upstairs.

Watch manager at Preston fire station Mark Woodward said: “An item had been deliberately lit which caused the fire and the severe smoke.”