Preston man fined over breaching lockdown restrictions by meeting with motocross riders

A motocross rider who breached coronavirus restrictions during the first lockdown in April has been fined.

Thursday, 10th December 2020, 2:51 pm

Joshua Grimes, 23, formerly of Studholme Avenue Penwortham but now of St Helens Well, Tarleton, Preston, was spotted with two other motocross riders on a piece of scrub land off Chain Caul Way in Preston on April 15.

It meant he fell foul of regulations at that time regarding not being in a group of more than two people.

Preston Magistrates' Court heard two patrol officers approached the group after hearing the noise close to the Toyota garage at around 3pm.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Preston Magistrates' Court

Prosecuting, Katrina Topping said the three congregated at the hack of a van before the first man he made off on a motocross bike and the second on a pushbike.

Grimes remained in the van and identified himself to police.

Ms Topping added: "The van contained a Honda CRF motocross bike which belonged to his father. He admitted driving it."

Grimes failed to attend court to answer a charge of leaving the place where he was livingand being outside without a reasonable excuse, during the coronavirus emergency period.

District Judge Joanne Hirst found the case proven in his absence and imposed a £220 fine, with £110 costs and a £34 victim surcharge to be paid within 28 days

She also found the case proven against Luke Connors, 24 , of Croneyhorn, Carnew, County Wicklow, Ireland, who was spotted with other men driving around Lowthorpe Crescent in Preston in a van on April 2, touting for labouring work.

It was just a day after some of his associates were given a fixed penalty notice for a similar offence.

Preston Magistrates' Court heard he had been previously stopped and asked to leave and not return to the area but the instruction was ignored.

Ms Topping said: " They were flippant and disinterested."

District Judge Hirst imposed £220 fine, £110 costs and a £34 surcharge.

A homeless man from Burnley was also fined.

Darren Scott Rushton, 41, of Mitre Street, Burnley, who has since obtained supported accommodation, repeatedly returned to a spot next to an ATM at ASDA in the town on March 31, after officers had warned him to move on.

On the fourth occasion he became aggressive to officers.

He was given a £120 fine, £110 costs and £34 surcharge, which will be deducted from benefits.

The Lancashire Post is more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription to support our journalism. For unlimited access to Lancashire news and information online, you can subscribe here.