Preston fire crews tackle destructive bedroom fire caused by candle

0
Have your say

Firefighters tackled a bedroom fire at a domestic property in Preston this morning which was accidentally started by a candle.


Two fire engines from Preston attended a blaze at a home on Squires Wood at around 10.01am this morning (January 2).

Firefighters used four breathing apparatus, two positive ventilation fans and a hose reel to extinguish the fire.

The fire involved the bedroom of a domestic property as a result of a candle set.

A spokesperson for Preston Fire Station said: "This morning the wholetime crews at Preston Fire Station responded to a bedroom fire started accidentally from a candle.

"The pictures show the level the poisonous smoke came down to on the white internal door."

Firefighters were at the scene for approximately ninety minutes.

READ MORE: Third suspect wanted after 30 vehicles targeted by thieves in Chorley

Tips to stay safe when using a candle

According to the Lancashire Fire and Rescue service, there was a 26% increase in candle fires last year.

Here are some tips to stay safe when using a candle:

- Secure candles in a proper holder.

- Keep them well away from any materials that may catch fire like curtains, cards, papers etc.

- Take extra care when you are wearing loose clothing around candles.

- Don’t put candles on the side of the bath or on the television.