Former footballer Clarke Carlisle, who suffered serious injuries after being struck by lorry, has woken from his coma, a court has been told.
The Preston-born 35-year-old, who played for PNE, Burnley, Leeds United and Northampton Town, was struck on the A64 near York on December 22.
It happened two days after Carlisle - also the chairman of the Professional Footballers’ Association - had been charged with a drink driving offence of failing to provide a sample.
Defending, Zeenat Islam told Highbury Magistrates’ Court in north London that Carlisle had come out of his coma “literally in the last few days but he is still receiving intense treatment for his injuries”.
She said: “As it stands, he is not in a position to obviously attend court. We are unable to take instructions in relation to this matter.”
Deputy district judge Peter King said he would extend Carlisle’s bail until March 23.