Mum left her child to sleep on the path

Neglect: Preston Magistrates' Court
Neglect: Preston Magistrates' Court
Share this article
Have your say

A mum has been found guilty of three counts of wilful neglect after one of her young children was found asleep on the garden path and her two sons were found in a “distressed” state.

The 29-year-old woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons to protect the identity of her children, cried as she appeared in the dock at Preston Magistrates’ Court.

The court heard how a concerned neighbour flagged down a passing police car after the woman’s young daughter was found asleep on the garden path of the house.

The neighbour had taken the child inside the house and put her on the sofa. The woman’s other two children were said to be screaming in their cots in a upstairs bedroom of the house.

Two neighbours then found the mum asleep and had struggled to wake her. When police arrived at the house in the Ribbleton area of Preston on May 26 2012 the woman smelled of alcohol, was aggressive and had wet herself, the court heard.

PC Liz Robinson said the children were “very distressed.”

She added: “They were crying, both their faces were very red.”

The defendant told the court on the day of the incident she had been to the park with her two children while her daughter was at a birthday party.

During the day she said she had two cans of lager and claimed one of the cans had been spiked with Valium causing her to black out.

The court heard how that didn’t marry up with a statement the woman had made to the police where she said she had been drinking cider.

The court was told how the young girl often visited the shop next door on a regular basis.

She would get there by climbing over a wall and on the day in question she had gone to the shop to get a juice drink.

The children are currently in foster care.

Tom Lord, defending, said the woman’s parenting was lax and inadequate and that she was not a savvy mother.

He said: “It is not the case that she did not care.

“It is not the case that the children were injured as such that she needed to seek medical help.”

The case was adjourned for sentence on January 31. The judge asked for a full report into the current position of the children.

The woman was already serving a suspended sentence for assault.