Man jailed for curtain pole nurse attack

A nurse was left with a broken ankle after being set upon on his own doorstep when he returned from a hospital night shift, a court heard.

Thursday, 14th April 2016, 5:00 am
Kyle Ives

Kyle Ives, 27, has been jailed for three and a half years after setting upon the nurse at the flats they shared in Warbreck Road, Blackpool.

Preston Crown Court heard Ives had become angry at loud music coming from a neighbouring flat and attacked the victim with a curtain pole – believing he was responsible for keeping his children awake.

However the nurse had been working a shift at Blackpool Victoria Hospital and had not been in the building in the hours leading up to the attack.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

On July 17 the victim was confronted by Ives asking him to keep the music down.

As he walked up the stairs to his own flat he felt a blow to the back of the head and as he turned around he saw Ives coming towards him with the metal curtain pole.

Ives swung the pole at the victim, who tried to explain he had been at work, but Ives pulled him down the stairs, causing him to fall heavily on his ankle.

The nurse suffered a broken ankle and spent several days in hospital where he had plates and screws inserted.

Ives was arrested and told officers his children had been staying and had been disturbed by a drunk woman trying to get into the building between 11pm and 2am.

He claimed the victim had returned home drunk and there had been a scuffle, but later pleaded guilty to wounding.

On July 22, Ives was the front seat passenger in a Ford Mondeo driven by David Ogg, 48, which came to the attention of police officers in Queens Promenade.

When the vehicle was stopped, Ives admitted having drugs in a sock stuffed down his trousers.

Officers discovered heroin with a street value of £2,000 and crack valued at £1,360. He also had £145 cash.

Ives pleaded guilty to possession with intent to supply class A drugs and Ogg admitted being concerned in the supply.

Judge Andrew Woolman, sentencing, said: “David Ogg, I sentence you on the basis you did not know what was going on but when a young man got into the back of the car you didn’t stop it and were still providing driving services for Kyle Ives.

“Ives, you got it in your head [the victim] was responsible for playing music loud into the night and disturbing your children. Clearly he wasn’t responsible as he had been at work as a nurse.

“He is extremely shaken up and nervous about going out and it is entirely your fault.

“A few days later you were out in David Ogg’s car selling drugs.”

He jailed Ives for two years for the drugs offences and 18 months for the attack on the nurse, and handed Ogg a 12 - month community order.