Lancashire Police release statement after Blackpool arrest footage shows officer strike man in South Shore

Lancashire Police have released a statement after a video of an arrest in Blackpool went viral on social media.

By James Graves
Wednesday, 13th May 2020, 6:58 am
Updated Wednesday, 13th May 2020, 8:34 am

The incident is believed to have happened yesterday on Marton Drive in South Shore, by Harcourt Road and the Tesco Express.

Footage of the incident was posted on Facebook just after 5.30pm and it also appeared on Twitter. Police confirmed they are reviewing the 'footage'.

The video shows two police officers trying to handcuff a man in a black t-shirt and shorts outside a black Ford Fiesta, which the man is believed to have been the driver of.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The video shows two officers arresting a man on Marton Drive in South Shore

The footage, which is being filmed by a passenger in the car, then shows the man saying "It's out of order that lads" before one of the officers is seen to strike the man causing him to swear and he is then lead away to a police vehicle.

Lancashire Police have confirmed a 21-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving, public order & obstructing a police officer.

He is currently in police custody for questioning.

A Lancashire Police spokesman said: "We are aware of footage circulating on social media regarding an incident in Blackpool earlier today and we’re reviewing the footage.

"A 21 yr old man from Blackpool has been arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving, public order and obstructing a police officer and is in custody."

The incident is the second time in just a few weeks that the force have had to release a similar statement after apologising to a man in Accrington when an officer was filmed threatening to "make something up" in order to arrest him.

A spokesman for the force said at the time: "It is clear from the footage the member of the public deserves an apology, which we will attempt to provide him with today."

Lancashire Police said the matter was being investigated and had been referred to the force's professional standards department.