Fresh appeal after fatal head-on collision in Lancashire

editorial image
Share this article
Have your say

A FRESH appeal for witnesses to a fatal collision where a 46-year-old man died, has been issued, a week after the incident.

The incident happened at around 6pm on January 6 on the A570 Southport Road near The Villa Café in Scarisbrick when a Peugeot Horizon and a Toyota Carina were involved in a head on collision.

It is believed that a grey BMW was involved in an overtake manoeuvre, causing the other two vehicles to collide, before driving off towards Southport.

Detectives from Lancashire Police are keen to trace a woman who was seen walking her dog at around the time of the collision and are appealing for her to come forward.

Detective Chief Inspector Andy Hulme of the Force Major Investigation Team said: “It has been one week since this tragic incident took place and although we are making good progress with our enquiries so far, we are still appealing to the public for their help.”

The passenger in the Peugeot, 46-year-old Andrew Birch from Skelmersdale, suffered multiple injuries and was taken to Southport Hospital where he was sadly pronounced dead on arrival.

His 80-year-old mother who was driving the Peugeot sustained serious injuries and remains in Aintree Hospital.

A 41-year-old woman from Scarisbrick who was driving the Toyota was taken to Aintree Hospital with serious injuries where she remains in an extremely poorly condition.

Her 15-year-old son who was also in the car was taken to hospital with minor injuries and has since been released.

Both families continue to be supported by specially trained officers.

A major investigation was launched and officers are continuing to conduct house to house enquiries, CCTV examination and forensic analysis.

DCI Hulme added: “As a result of this collision, Andrew Birch lost his life just days before his 47th birthday and two women have suffered serious injuries.

“It has had a devastating impact on the families of all those involved and if anyone has any information about what happened then please do contact us on 101.”

A 56-year-old man from Southport was last night arrested on suspicion on causing death by dangerous driving and is currently in custody.

Last week a 29-year-old man from Southport was also arrested in connection with the incident and has been bailed until March.

Two other men, aged 22 and 24 both from Liverpool, were also arrested but released with no further action.

Anyone with information can contact Lancashire Police on 101 quoting log number LC-20150106-0951.