Fire crews are warning households of the risks posed by unattended tumble dryers following a fire in Lancaster.
Two fire engines from Lancaster were called to a fire at a terraced home in Hope Street, near Scotch Quarry, at 8.26am (October 1).
On arrival, fire crews discovered that a tumble dryer had caught fire in the basement of the home.
Firefighters equipped with breathing apparatus entered the smoke-filled basement and used a hose reel to extinguish the fire.
A positive ventilation fan was then used to clear the room of smoke.
Firefighters were at the scene for thirty-five minutes.
The incident follows a government recall notice of up to half a million tumble dryers manufactured by Whirlpool due to a fire safety risk.
In 2015, Whirlpool issued a warning after it discovered its Hotpoint, Creda and Indesit dryers had a similar fault.
According to the government, the faulty tumble dryers have been blamed for at least 750 fires over an 11-year period.
It is not known whether the tumble dryer which led to the Hope Street fire is one of the models included in the national recall.