Father-to-be jailed for kitchen knife attack

Incident: Trevine King
Incident: Trevine King
Share this article
Have your say

A father-to-be who stabbed a man with a kitchen knife in a city centre brawl has been jailed for four years.

Trevine King, 21, of Bow Lane, Preston, attacked Edward Sanderson with an eight inch blade after a night out drinking earlier this year.

Preston Crown Court heard that Mr Sanderson came out of the Subway restaurant in Church Street, Preston, at around 4.30am on August 17.

Wayne Jackson, prosecuting, said Mr Sanderson got involved in an argument, which was happening across the road between some of his friends and another group of men.

Mr Jackson said Mr Sanderson placed himself between his friends and the other men.

He said Mr Sanderson fell to the ground with a man and was “tussling” with him when King, who was stood on the other side of the road, decided to help the man, whom he knew.

He took the knife, which he said belonged to a friend, and stabbed Mr Sanderson, before running off.

A police officer, who recalled seeing King make “a number of thrusts” with the knife, chased after him and cornered him by a car park.

The officer demanded that King put his hands on his head, but when King failed to comply and approached him, he fired at him with a Taser gun.

The wires did not go through King’s clothes to his skin, so the officer instead tackled him into a wall, holding the taser against his neck until other officers arrived and arrested him.

King made no comment during police interview, but denied being responsible in a prepared written statement.

Mr Jackson said the victim suffered only minor injuries and did not go to hospital until three days later, when he was found to have a healing 0.5cm cut on his stomach and two small wounds on his back.

King pleaded guilty to wounding with intent.

His 18 previous convictions for 31 offences include battery in 2006, 2007 and 2011, assault occasioning actual bodily harm, drug related matters, violent disorder and two cases of battery in 2011.

He was jailed for six months for affray last year after he admitted pelting a crowd of club goers with glass bottles in Blackpool in August 2010 after another street fight.

Roger Baldwin, defending, said it would be wrong to classify his client as a dangerous offender who needed locking up indefinitely, given the “relatively minor offences of violence on his record”.

He said King had seen a former school friend fighting with the victim, and, as he appeared to be struggling, asked a friend whom he knew had a knife to give it to him and ran over, shouting ‘get off’.

He said King punched Mr Sanderson in the back and then struck him with the knife, but argued the police officer’s statement was “overblown”.

King’s girlfriend, who sat in the public gallery, is expecting his baby boy in April next year.

Mr Baldwin said: “She is concerned and upset he won’t be present at the birth of this child or see his early year or two and hopes his father will be with the child before he goes to school.”

Judge Ian Leeming, sentencing, agreed that King did not meet the criteria of a dangerous offender, but said it was “a very serious offence”.