Dad’s death could have been avoided

Red Scar Tyres, where Gary Jackson was killed in an industrial accident
Red Scar Tyres, where Gary Jackson was killed in an industrial accident
Have your say

A tyre firm has been fined £68,000 after breaches in health and safety regulations which led to the death of a dad-of-one.

Gary Jackson, 46, was killed instantly when an HGV tyre he was fitting exploded and threw him four feet into the air.

But Preston Crown Court heard the accident at Red Scar Tyres, Longridge Road, could have been avoided if the director, Michael McEwan, had taken the necessary steps to ensure the health and safety of employees and visitors at the site.

On February 21 2012 Mr Jackson was working alone at the site when an HGV came in with a puncture. The air hose he used to inflate the tyre was not fitted with a gauge and once Mr Jackson had attached it to the tyre with a jury-rig he left it to inflate.

But shortly after he returned the tyre failed and high pressure air and rubber debris burst out of the tyre.

Mr Jackson, of Victoria Street, Lostock Hall, suffered internal injuries to his heart and lungs and quickly lost consciousness. He never recovered and was pronounced dead at the scene.

During the investigation that followed it emerged the company had not carried out a sufficient risk assessment or provided employees with adequate safety training to alert them to the risk of explosion, which is well known within the tyre fitting industry.

Furthermore the workshop was cluttered and when Mr Jackson fell he landed on a pile of tyres.

A report stated: “If the defendant had followed simple health and safety procedures, Mr Jackson’s death would have been prevented.”

The court heard Red Scar Tyres had operated for 30 years without any accidents.

Mr McEwan pleaded guilty to three breaches of health and safety regulations to protect the safety of employees and visitors.

Judge Stuart Baker said: “Whatever fine is to be paid it can not in any way be regarded as a sufficient reflection of the loss of Mr Jackson’s life and the grief of members of his family.

“No fine could reflect that.”

He gave the firm 28 days to pay the fine and £25,386 prosecution costs.