24 hour delay in police visit to Penwortham burglary victims
A husband and wife have raised concern over Lancashire Police's response to Â£12,000 of items burgled from their Penwortham home.
The Queensway home of George and Susan Bailey was targeted last Wednesday at 9pm, where intruders entered their property via the rear patio doors, stealing watches, jewellery, laptops, iPads, cameras, and designer bags.
George claims that since the crime was reported on Thursday (April 5), the police had not contacted them or given them a crime reference number in the 24 hours that followed.
The 57-year-old said: “The police get rushed off their feet. I just want some kind of contact. It doesn’t take much.”
Susan said: “It’s your home where you think you feel safe. I can’t put into words how I feel. They’ve been in my bedroom. It will take us a long time to get over this.”
And for the couple, while the items lost are a significant financial blow, losing sentimental items like medals, ribbons, and photos hurt just as much, if not more.
“It’s the pictures on the likes of the camera that are more important," George explained. "Things can be replaced but not these mementos.”
The burglary was discovered on Thursday afternoon by Susan’s mother – who was shaken up not knowing if intruders were still in the house.
Insp Alison Barff-Lewis, of Lancashire Constabulary’s South Division, said: “We received a report at 3pm on Thursday that a house in Queensway had been burgled.
“At 6pm CSI investigators attended the address to secure any forensics left by the offenders.
“Due to other incidents on Thursday evening, there was a delay in deploying an officer to the address, and due to the time we texted the occupants to reassure them we would be with them the following day.
“An officer is due to visit this afternoon (Friday, April 6) to speak to the householders and carry out house to house inquiries.
“We understand any burglary is distressing for the householders and work to catch offenders and bring them to justice.”