Centenary mass for Preston Carmelite Monastery
A mass of thanksgiving for the Preston Carmelite Monastery has been held to mark its centenary.
Bishop Michael Campbell led the mass, supported by 12 fellow priests, in the Carmelite chapel in St Vincent’s Road, Fulwood.
Carmelite sisters from the Liverpool Carmel attended, along with sisters from other Orders who were part of a congregation of over 100 people.
The sermon was given by Canon Peter Draper who described the social and historical context of the time of the founding of Preston Carmel and the other social institutions namely – the
Derby School for the blind, the Harris Orphanage and St. Vincent’s - all in this northern part of Preston.
After Mass guests enjoyed a buffet lunch in the Monastery and gardens.
It was April 12 1917 Mother Mary Jesus led a group of nine sisters to form the new community and stayed with them for several weeks until they were settled, before returning to her own community in London.
Polly Kirkham a 21-year-old Preston girl, known as Sister Mary Teresa was a founder member of Preston Carmel and she was later joined by Prestonian, Winifred O’Neil, known as Sister Mary Winifred, who celebrated all her jubilees in Preston Carmel including her Platinum (70 years) Jubilee.
Sister Josephine is now the prioress and with her 7 other Sisters follow a life of prayer.