Cat poisoning: warning for owners

Cat owners are being warned to look out for symptoms of poisoning after a rise in the number of suspected cases.

Thursday, 20th April 2017, 3:01 pm
Updated Tuesday, 9th May 2017, 6:39 pm
Angel, a young cat from Deepdale, who was the victim of a suspected poisoning.

On Saturday, Angel, a young cat belonging to a family in Deepdale, had to be rushed to an an emergency vets after becoming seriously unwell.

The owner shared Angel’s picture on social media, which was seen by charity Blackpool Nine Lives Rescue.

A spokesman for the charity said: “The owner didn’t know whether Angel had been attacked by a dog or poisoned. But she hadn’t been eating, wasn’t herself and it looks like poisoning. There’s been a few cases in the area.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

They added: “We’re seeing quite a lot of cases of poisoning across Lancashire. The main poison seems to be anti-freeze. It gets on a cat’s paws, it burns, and the cat tries to lick it off.

“Each case is different, but owners need to look-out for things like drooling, the cat being zombified, collapsing and/or having fits.”

Such is the problem, the charity recommends owners look at containing their cats within garden areas.

Angel’s condition has now improved due to medication.