Cardboard box catches fire after being placed on cooker hob in Garstang

A cardboard box burst into flames after being placed on a cooker hob at a home in Garstang.

By Sean Gleaves
Sunday, 7th November 2021, 11:53 am
Updated Sunday, 7th November 2021, 11:54 am

Two fire crews from Garstang and Lancaster were called to Sandbriggs Court, Lancaster Road at around 8.15pm on Saturday, November 6.

Crews discovered the fire involved a cardboard box that had been placed on a cooker hob on arrival.

Firefighters used a small bucket of water to extinguish the flames before clearing the property of smoke.

Two fire crews from Garstang and Lancaster were called to Sandbriggs Court, Lancaster Road

Crews were in attendance for around 20 minutes.

Read More

Read More
Two police officers who saved man's life during Storm Ciara in Preston nominated...

Cooking safely

More than half of accidental fires in the home are started by cooking, according to the Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service.

There are a few simple things you can do to make cooking as safe as possible:

- Avoid leaving saucepan handles sticking out - children can grab them, or you might knock it off the hob.

- Be wary of loose-fitting clothing when cooking on the hob.

- Make sure tea towels and dishcloths are kept away from any heat sources.

- Make sure the oven or hob is off after you are finished.

- Do not leave cooking unattended. If you must leave the room, turn the hob off.

- Keep all cooking appliances clean and in good working order.

- Do not use grills or ovens as storage space when not cooking.

- If you have been drinking or using drugs, consider ordering food to be delivered rather than cooking for yourself.

To find out more, visit the LFRS website by clicking HERE.

It is thanks to our loyal readers that we can continue to provide the trusted news, analysis and insight that matters to you.

For unlimited access to our unrivalled local reporting, you can take out a subscription HERE and help support the work of our dedicated team of reporters.