Brutal rapist caged

Rapist Scott Henigan jailed for eight years and will have to serve a further 5 years on extened licence
Rapist Scott Henigan jailed for eight years and will have to serve a further 5 years on extened licence
Share this article
Have your say

A rapist who carried out a “brutal and terrifying” attack over several days in his victim’s own home has been jailed for eight years.

Scott Henigan pinned his victim to the floor, bit her on the nose and placed a cushion over her face so she could not scream out for help, the court heard.

He even kicked his victim as she struggled to get free of his grasp, prosecutors said.

Describing Henigan as a “dangerous offender”, a judge at Preston Crown Court told him he must also serve an additional five years on licence when he is released from prison.

This means the 28-year-old will be returned to prison to serve the remainder of his sentence behind bars if he is caught committing any further crimes up to five years after his release.

Prosecutors said his victim was attacked in her South Shore home around August last year.

Henigan had just been released from prison in the February and was on licence when he targeted his victim.

Henigan of River Street, Wilmslow, Cheshire pleaded guilty to charges of rape, a serious sexual assault and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

He will now be forced to sign the Sex Offenders Register for life.

His barrister, Julie Taylor, told the court the defendant was remorseful and had written a letter expressing his apologises.

Judge Heather Lloyd told him: “The impact of your behaviour has been considerable.

“It is quite clear to me you remain a dangerous offender.”

Det Insp Nick Connaughton of Blackpool Police’s Public Protection Unit led the investigation.

He said: “This was a horrific set of offences where Henigan has subjected his victim to a brutal and terrifying ordeal over a course of days that she will have to live with for the rest of her life. And so, I welcome the court’s decision to imprison Henigan.

“Finally, I would like to pay tribute to the victim for her bravery in reporting this matter to the police and for giving evidence in court.”