Memory match: PNE bank on Nugent

Goal joy: David Nugent is lifted off the floor by Danny Dichio after scoring against Ipswich
Goal joy: David Nugent is lifted off the floor by Danny Dichio after scoring against Ipswich
Have your say

Preston North End turned in a bank holiday special display as they put four goals past Ipswich Town at Portman Road in front of the Sky Sports cameras.

The North End supporters had an early start for the lunchtime kick-off in August 2005, but were rewarded for making the long trip to Suffolk by a lethal display of finishing from their side.

David Nugent netted twice, his liking for scoring against the Tractor Boys continuing throughout his career.

Also on target for the visitors were David Jones and Patrick Agyemang.

North End made the late August trip having gone five games without a win.

But they certainly found their feet in this one, recording their first victory since the opening day of the campaign.

Both sides had chances early on, Graham Alexander getting in a well-timed challenge to block a shot from Ian Westlake.

At the other end, a cross from Tyrone Mears found Danny Dichio in the box, his header coming back off the far post.

Midfielder Jones – on loan from Manchester United –sent a shot inches over the Ipswich bar.

Then PNE keeper Carlo Nash saved well from Town veteran Jim Magilton.

Preston took the lead in the 31st minute, Nugent running on to a defence-splitting pass from Jones and placing a fine finish past goalkeeper Lewis Price.

Three minutes later the Scouse striker was on target again.

He fastened on to a cross from Paul McKenna, evaded a sliding challenge from Matt Richards and burst into the box, before lashing a powerful hot past Price.

Nugent’s celebrations in front of the Ipswich fans after his second goal did not go down too well, with a plastic bottle thrown from the home end in his direction.

North End went three goals to the good moments before the interval.

Mears got possession on the left wing and played the ball inside to Jones, who advanced towards the box.

Jones played a one-two with Dichio and fired low past Price to give the visitors plenty of breathing space going into the break.

North End enjoyed a lot of possession in the second half.

Brian O’Neill headed over the bar, while Nugent was presented with a chance to complete a hat-trick when Price made a hash of dealing with a cross.

The ball fell to Nugent with the keeper out of position, but his shot lacked power and a defender got back to clear off the line.

Preston were to find the net again, substitute Agyemang scoring in the 85th minute.

Chris Lucketti was the provider, his pass sending Agyemang clear who guided a shot past Price.

The win delighted Preston boss Billy Davies, although much of his 
post-match press conference was spent discussing Nugent’s celebrations.

Davies said: “He’s got to learn and we had a word with him about it afterwards.

“He is just a young lad, he’s full of fun and that’s the animal you have.”

North End reached the play-off semi-finals that season.