Complete guide to getting a taxi after your Mad Friday night out in Preston
Preston Council is offering advice on taxi services ahead of this week's Mad Friday
It comes as extra funding is being made available for taxi stewards on Mad Friday to ensure everyone has a safe journey home, courtesy of Preston Business Improvement District (BID).
A BID spokesman said: “Preston is an award winning destination after dark and is recognised for being able to offer the public an entertaining, diverse, safe and enjoyable night out."
And the following points have been issued by the council in regards to booking a taxi.
• Only Hackney carriage cabs can be hailed in the street or on a taxi rank; they should carry a white plate on the front and on the back of the vehicle;
• Private hire vehicles must always be booked in advance and display a plate on the back of the vehicle – Preston licensed vehicles have yellow plates on the front and rear, plus stickers on the rear passenger doors saying “pre-booked” only;
• All licensed drivers should have a driver’s identity badge issued by Preston City Council, which should be prominently displayed at all times;
• Carry a telephone number of a trusted, licensed taxi or private hire company with you;
• If possible, book a taxi or private hire vehicle in advance and ask for the name of the driver as well as the make and colour of the car;
• Confirm the details with the driver when the vehicle arrives to make sure it’s the car you ordered;
• If you are ordering a taxi from a public place, try not to let anyone overhear your name and address;
• If you are out with friends, make sure everyone has a way of getting home;
• If someone in your group has had too much to drink, accompany them to the taxi and make sure it’s a legitimate vehicle – friends should stick together and make sure everyone gets home safely;
• Do not walk home if you’ve have too much alcohol as this can make you vulnerable or you may have an accident – will you be safe? Are you in control?