"It's the right decision, our children's safety is first": Parents back Archbishop Temple decision to shut school in coronavirus safeguard
Parents of pupils at a Preston secondary school said its closure as a precaution against coronavirus is "absolutely the right thing to do".
Archbishop Temple School in Fulwood has closed today (Wednesday, February 26) after staff and pupils returned from a half term trip to Pila in northern Italy on Monday.
The school will remain shut until Monday (March 2), but reassured parents that the closure is only a "precautionary measure" following the advice of Public Health England.
Some parents rushed to the school in St Vincents Road to collect their children after being informed of the sudden closure via email at 11am.
Savannah Dable, whose 15-year-old daughter attends the school, said the closure is "absolutely the right decision".
"Our children's safety is first, " said the 50-year-old nursery volunteer from Ashton as she waited outside the school gates for her daughter.
"As a parent, I think that it is absolutely right that they follow Public Health England advice.
"Our children's safety is first. I think it is absolutely the right decision.
"It was a very prompt email that was sent at 11.30am to say it was because of the school group that went to Pila in Italy last week for the ski trip.
"They said it's just a precautionary measure that they would like to close for unforeseen circumstances and they will come back on Monday.
"The school is very good and organised, they've organised the bus to come early to collect children."
Mrs Dable said she had no concerns about her Year 11 daughter missing school in her final year.
"My daughter is doing her GCSEs in June, so she will just be doing her revision at home.
"And I have the flexibility to come and collect my daughter today.
"But I guess parents who are working, it might be difficult for them, but bear in mind they are all high school children and hopefully they will be responsible about it (getting home).
"But I think it is absolutely the right decision."
Acting headteacher Julie Siddle said: "We've just returned from our half-term trip to Italy, and decided to take this action just to be on the safe side, and to minimise any possible risk of infection spreading in school.
"As a precautionary measure and pending further information from Public Health England, governors have taken the decision to close the school at 12pm today and for the remainder of this week."
She added that pupils will be able to access school work at home via an online platform for the duration of the school closure.