Family of Cleveleys grandma who died after contracting coronavirus 'heartbroken' as sentimental photos and jewellery are 'lost by Blackpool Vic'

The family of a Cleveleys grandma who died tragically in hospital say they feel unable to move on as her precious belongings - including sentimental photographs, jewellery and diaries - have disappeared.

Monday, 22nd June 2020, 3:45 pm
Updated Monday, 22nd June 2020, 4:02 pm
Beryl Waring, right, with her son Phil and grandson Shaun

Beryl Waring, 78, was taken to Blackpool Victoria Hospital in March after suffering a dementia-related breakdown. Two weeks later, she tested positive for coronavirus and was moved onto a special ward.

However, her health continued to decline and she died on May 21.

Her family now faces further heartbreak as her belongings, including sentimental photographs, have been allegedly lost by Blackpool Vic.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Beryl Waring

Beryl's grandson Shaun, 28, of Balmoral Road in Preston, said: "I was the only person allowed to see her just a few hours before she died. She was half the woman she was. I understand the meaning now when people say 'skin and bone', because that's all she was.

"Everything that was sentimental to her was in her handbag. We feel like we can't be at peace not knowing where her things are because of the sentimental value they hold.

"We feel as if we can't put her to rest until he things are there. We still have to be in contact with the hospital. We feel like we can't move forward until this has been resolved."

Beryl's funeral took place at Carleton Crematorium on June 8.

Following her death, her family made a number of phone calls to the hospital and were allegedly told that a list of items made on the day she died confirmed that she still had all her things with her at that time.

Eventually the hospital was able to locate Beryl's watch and glasses and returned them.

But her clothes and a handbag containing jewellery, bank cards and cash, as well as diary pages and photographs of her late husband Tony, remain missing.

Shaun, a plumber, said: "There's no sympathy there. We've had to ring them every day, but we haven't had a single call from them.

"I feel like they should be there to support and help us.

"You should be able to trust that when she has been admitted in her hour of need, that her personal things should be looked after. We all feel very let down by them.

"I would like an explanation from them, for them to be a bit more sympathetic about the situation, and for someone to ring us up and tell us what's going on and what they are going to do about it."

Beryl, who lived on Warwick Avenue, used to be a university head caterer before she retired in the 1990s. She had 10 great-grandchildren, five grandchildren, and a son and a daughter.

Shaun's fiance Sheree Hogg, 31, said: "I'm appalled by it all. It's distressing, more than anything. We are quite heartbroken about it all and it's like the hospital hasn't really taken responsibility for it.

"She caught coronavirus while she was in hospital and they haven't even bothered to take care of her possessions. It's not fair at all."

Peter Murphy, director of nursing, AHPs and quality at Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, said: “I can confirm the Trust has received a complaint regarding the loss of a patient’s possessions.

“We realise this is upsetting for the family and we are investigating the matter fully and will update them of our progress.”