Comedian Paul Chuckle reveals that he has coronavirus

Comedian Paul Chuckle has revealed that he has been suffering from coronavirus.

Tuesday, 31st March 2020, 3:47 pm

The 72-year-old - who was one half of comedy duo The Chuckle Brothers - said he had been stricken with coronavirus in a message to fans on social media.

Chuckle, whose real name is Paul Elliot, warned that the virus is "not nice" as he urged people to stay at home.

In a video message posted on Twitter, Chuckle said: "Hi guys, just checking in to let you know I'm still around.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

"I have been laid up with COVID-19 for a good few days, just mild, but it was there and it's not nice, I promise you, so please, please stay inside.

"We're all going stir-crazy, we know that, but please stay inside and take the pressure off the NHS, Marie Curie, etc, etc.

"Please, please, stay in guys and enjoy as best you can."

His announcement has led to a flurry of messages from fans and stars of the entertainment world.

Paul Chuckle, one half of the Chuckle Brothers, has revealed he has been suffering from coronavirus. Pic: Paul Chuckle

"Stay well pal. Good to see you," wrote Comedian Paddy McGuinness on Twitter.

Actor Will Mellor added: "Glad you're getting better mate!! Take care."

Chuckle's brother and comedy partner Barry died in August 2018 at the age of 73.

The duo shot to fame with their slapstick-style and catchphrase "to me, to you".

Paul Chuckle's brother and comedy partnerBarry (left) died in August 2018at the age of 73

After winning talent show Opportunity Knocks in 1967, the Chuckle Brothers starred in their own BBC show ChuckleVision for 22 years from 1987 to 2009.

Following Barry's death, Paul said losing his brother had been "the worst feeling ever" but said he knew his ChuckleVision co-star would want him to carry on performing.