Fire service warning after candle sets bedroom on fire

editorial image
Share this article
0
Have your say

A knocked over candle set clothes and curtains on fire and the fire service has sent out a warning over smoke alarms.

Firefighters from Penwortham attended incident on Walton Avenue, Penwortham on Friday night when a candle placed on a window ledge was knocked over and ignited curtains in a bedroom.

The occupier was out of the room when the fire started and the fire spread to clothing and bags.

The homeowner only realised there was a fire when she came back into the room and a neighbour was alerted to the fire by shouts.

A fire service spokesman said the neighbour’s rapid intervention minimised the fire spread by extinguished the fire using bowls of water.

Fire crews then arrived at around 7pm to check the fire was fully extinguished.

A spokesman said: “The occupiers had a very lucky escape. Smoke alarms had been removed for decorating and not yet replaced. Remember smoke alarms safe lives and every house should be fitted with at least one.”