Tickled Trout staff trained to become life-savers

Chandra Moorthy of the Tickled Trout hotel learns CPR. The hotel has recently installed a defibrillator

Chandra Moorthy of the Tickled Trout hotel learns CPR. The hotel has recently installed a defibrillator

0
Have your say

A COUNTY hotel has installed a defibrillator and trained its staff in first aid, with a little help from a charity.

The Tickled Trout hotel in Samlesbury installed the lifesaving device, provided by the British Heart Foundation, at its reception.

Cardiac arrest is a leading cause of death in the UK, but victims are 38 per cent more likely to survive if they receive CPR and defibrillation.

The Tickled Trout, owned by Macdonald Hotels, partnered with Green Cross Training to deliver first aid training and sessions to familiarise staff with the equipment, as part of a group-wide programme that will see defibrillators installed at all 45 UK hotels.

Macdonald Hotels Ltd is one of the first independent hotel groups in the UK to install defibrillators at all its sites.

A total of six staff members at the Tickled Trout Hotel have been trained by Green Cross Training to use the defibrillators.

Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel general manager Bethan Johnston, who is trained in first aid said: “Macdonald Hotels’ decision to become one of the first hotel companies in the UK to install and train staff to use defibrillators could mean the difference between life and death for someone having a cardiac arrest while at one of the hotels.

“We welcome hundreds of guests every month to the Tickled Trout Hotel and we felt it was our duty to provide this life saving equipment.

“It can take several minutes for an ambulance to reach the hotel and this £47,000 group-wide investment in lifesaving defibrillators could reduce the amount of time someone who has had a cardiac arrest has to wait for defibrillation.”

Macdonald Hotels golf ambassador, Stephen Gallacher, has a very personal reason to support the defibrillators being installed at the Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel.

In 2013 Stephen’s 64 year old uncle, the golfing champion, Bernard Gallacher was saved after he suffered a cardiac arrest during an event at a hotel as the venue had a defibrillator.

Stephen said: “My uncle wouldn’t be here if there hadn’t been a defibrillator on hand and my whole family is so thankful that the machine was available on the day. Installing defibrillators is a fantastic idea, so many people come through Macdonald Hotels every day and it will set people’s minds at ease just knowing that there’s one in the building.”