Warning over burning paper after blaze spread from bin to house

Wheelie bin on fire at Cromwell Road, Preston. Photo: Lancashire Fire and Rescue

Wheelie bin on fire at Cromwell Road, Preston. Photo: Lancashire Fire and Rescue

Share this article
1
Have your say

Firefighters have issued a warning not to burn confidential waste, after a wheelie bin filled with burned paper caught fire.

The bin was next to a house and the blaze then spread to a second bin, then to the conservatory and were about to spread to an adjacent garage with an asbestos roof

Fire crews were called to the house in Cromwell Road, Preston at around 8.45am on Sunday and extinguished the blaze before it spread to the asbestos roof.

A Preston fire spokesman said: “We recommend that the public use a shredder rather than burn confidential items. Then put the paper in the recycling.

“Along with Preston City Council we would encourage the public not to burn any household waste on their property. They should place it in the appropriate bin or take it to a recycling centre.

“This prevents accidental fires spreading to property and does not produce nuisance smoke. Also bins or waste for collection should be away from property walls or windows and certainly away from your means of escape.

“Bins should only be put out on the day of collection and taken back in on the same day. This will reduce deliberate wheelie bin fires.

“Further Fire safety information can be found on our website www.lancsfirerescue.org.uk”