Neighbour leads elderly woman to safety after blaze

Brownedge Close in Bamber Bridge (Pic: Google)

Brownedge Close in Bamber Bridge (Pic: Google)

Share this article
1
Have your say

An elderly Bamber Bridge woman was led to safety by a neighbour after her chip pan caught on fire.

The Brownedge Close resident was given oxygen and taken to Royal Preston Hospital after being helped out of her bungalow at around 8.40pm yesterday, officials said.

Firefighters wearing breathing masks entered her home and used dry-powder extinguishers to put out the fire, which left the cooker damaged, before clearing the building of smoke by using fans, Bamber Bridge Fire Station crew manager David Widdop said.

“Three fire engines [two from Bamber Bridge and one from Penwortham] were sent,” he said.

“The information we received was there was potentially somebody inside the bungalow, but on arrival it was quickly confirmed she was stood at the door to the property.

“She had been walked out by a neighbour.”

The woman, who was suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation, had smoke detectors wnedgbut one was found to be faulty, Mr Widdop added, so crews fitted replacements before leaving.

The Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service offers free fire safety checks. Call 0800 169 1125.