Updated: Business as usual after fire at Booths in Chorley

Booths in Chorley

Booths in Chorley

1
Have your say

A blaze at Booths supermarket in the centre of Chorley has been put out and the supermarket says it’s back to business as usual in the morning.

Fire crews from around Lancashire raced to the store in Union Street where a gas heater was on fire on the roof of the building shortly after 8pm last night.

The blaze did not turn out to be serious, but police were called in to close off roads in the area to allow firefighters to tackle the blaze.

Late yesterday evening Booths tweeted: “@leponline #BoothsChorley UPDATE: All staff & customers are safe after a small fire, thanks for their cooperation. Open at 8am as usual.”

In addition to a number of fire engines, a special aerial ladder platform was despatched from Preston to help with the operation. The ALP allows crews to fight a blaze from high up.

The whole of Union Street was shut down in both directions.

By 10.30pm the streets were reopened and it was being reported locally that the fire had been in an air conditioning unit on the roof.

A spokesperson for Booths Chorley said: “There was a small fire on the roof in some heating equipment at Booths in Chorley last night.

“The incident was under control swiftly thanks to staff and the fire brigade.

“The evacuation procedure was followed smoothly and customers fully and calmly cooperated, all customers and staff were safely evacuated.

“There is no damage to the shop floor and the fire only affected a small element of the roof.”