Bar and club bosses have defended their right to refuse entry after it was claimed Justin Bieber was turned away from a legendary nightclub.
The Canadian superstar and his entourage were reportedly turned away from Sankeys during his two-night run in Manchester.
It came in the same weekend that a new city centre venue refused a pack of TV stars – saying they couldn’t handle large groups.
Tony Morris and Paul Crone and other familiar faces from Granada News were blocked from Revolucion de Cuba on Friday night.
Presenter Tony complained his group were told there were ‘too many blokes’. But managers of top venues in Manchester have defended their right to be picky.
Daniel Matto manager of The Bijou nightclub – a favourite celebrity haunt – also said groups of five or more men were generally excluded for ‘security reasons’.
He said: “We have a rule in our venue that we don’t let in male groups of that size. I’ve been in the industry a long time and we don’t want to have a group of 20 males coming in case there is trouble.
“Of course, it depends on the demeanour and how people appear on the door.
“We don’t make any secret of the fact that we are an exclusive club and we want people to look the part. The vast majority of people who come here, unless they’re from out of town, know what to expect.”
The Chapel Street club also has an ultra-strict dress code, with patrons advised to dress to the nines and steer clear of polo shirts. Daniel added: “I’ve had footballers trying to get in with five or six mates and I’ve turned them way because they are too scruffy.”
And trendy bar Panacea said it decided on entry on a ‘case-by-case’ basis. A spokeswoman said: Our entry policy is to a large extent at the discretion of our reception team, but typically we ask that guests are over 21 years of age and we do not allow sportswear.
“We do not have a specific rule on larger groups, be it male or female, as entry for such groups would all depend on our capacity at the time together with the general demeanour of those seeking entry.”
But the Cloud 23 bar on top of the Hilton Hotel said their only admission policy was that patrons wore ‘smart-casual’ clothing, avoiding sportswear and caps.
A spokesman said: “We don’t’ have any policy regarding groups. Although we are particularly busy at the weekends and always advise people to make a booking in advance, particularly if they are a large party.”
Nightclub Sankeys, previously voted as one of the world’s best clubs for dance music, claimed on Twitter that it had refused teenage star Bieber, reportedly worth £70m.
The club posted: “Yes, the rumours are true, we turned Justin Bieber away.
“He shuffles on stage and we can’t be having that.”
But yesterday, staff at the club refused to expand on details of the incident
Meanwhile, Cuban-themed bar Revolucion has denied having a policy against male groups – but was so busy that it could only accommodate large groups if they booked in advance.
A spokeswoman for the venue said: “The managers are having to start a new policy on big groups due to the venue reaching full capacity so early now.
“As it is so popular larger groups or guest list now have to be booked in advance.”