A round up of sporting headlines including news from Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea and England.
THE GUARDIAN: A former senior FIFA executive has issued a passionate call for a wide-ranging debate over the future of the game before the governing body’s next presidential election in 2015, warning that a “coronation” for any candidate could be disastrous for football. Also: Michael Clarke has offered further evidence of the new mood of confidence surrounding his Australia team ahead of the Ashes by predicting the England XI for the first Test in Brisbane next week.
DAILY TELEGRAPH: The verbal hostilities ahead of the Ashes series took a bizarre twist yesterday when Michael Clarke, the Australia captain, claimed that Alastair Cook had already told him Michael Carberry and Chris Tremlett would play in the first Test in Brisbane next week. Also: A Football Association plan to ban players for diving using video evidence was blocked by the Premier League and elite referees, it has emerged.
THE TIMES: While England wrestle with an injury toll that has ruled out three players, including Alex Corbisiero, from the international against New Zealand on Saturday, their long-term planning has also been hit by the revelation that Manu Tuilagi could miss the entire RBS Six Nations Championship. Also: The hype around the Ashes has started to thicken as menacingly as some of the recent mists over Sydney Harbour.
THE INDEPENDENT: England’s chances of turning the rugby world upside down for the second time in a year by beating the All Blacks at Twickenham on Saturday suffered a bitter blow when the loose-head prop Alex Corbisiero dropped out with knee trouble. Also: Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho is believed to have sparked a 20-man row in the tunnel at Stamford Bridge on Saturday evening following their 2-2 draw with West Brom, after he was said to have called defender Jonas Olsson a “Mickey Mouse player”.
DAILY STAR: The FA have denied claims that England players urged Roy Hodgson not to use St George’s Park in their friendly double header. Also: Michael Carrick is set to give Manchester United boss David Moyes a massive headache with a long spell on the sidelines.
THE SUN: Chelsea skipper John Terry, 32, is wanted by Galatasaray boss Roberto Mancini and is willing to match his current wages of £150,000 a week. Also: Michael Carrick and Danny Welbeck are facing operations which would rule the Manchester United pair out until the New Year.
DAILY MIRROR: Malaga have told former boss Pellegrini that they are not interested in selling goalkeeper Willy Caballero, 32, and midfielder Sergi Darder, 19, to City. Also: Dan Petrescu is favourite to take over as manager of Premier League strugglers Crystal Palace.
DAILY MAIL: Manchester United’s Barclays Premier League hopes have suffered a huge blow with the news that Michael Carrick could be out for up to six weeks. Also: Manchester City plan to buy a new defender in January. Manuel Pellegrini’s side have struggled without injured captain Vincent Kompany in recent weeks.
DAILY EXPRESS: England’s players are too soft and have no chance of winning the World Cup next year in Brazil, according to Barcelona striker Alexis Sanchez. Also: Stuart Lancaster’s options for his team to face New Zealand were reduced to virtually zero last night when prop Alex Corbisiero was followed out of contention by the wings Christian Wade and Marland Warde.
LONDON EVENING STANDARD Chelsea midfielder Ramires, 26, says he has little interest in a proposed transfer to Real Madrid.