It’s just a win-win situation for L&C

Photo Ian Robinson'Chorley Ladies 1 vs Southport 2nds'Raelene Strickland
Photo Ian Robinson'Chorley Ladies 1 vs Southport 2nds'Raelene Strickland
Share this article
Have your say

Leyland and Chorley Ladies 1sts maintained their perfect 100% record with a 3-1 home victory over Lancaster and Morecambe.

The league leaders of Division Two of the Lancashire Central League nearly opened the scoring from their first penalty corner. Becca Halsall hit it out to Penny Robb who slipped it to Raelene Strickland.

Strickland smacked the ball towards goal and it rebounded off a Lancaster and Morecambe defender towards Nicola Wallbank, who lifted it on target, but was blocked on the line by a stretching keeper.

Halsall made a fantastic, weaving run towards the D in the 32nd minute. She shot past the goal to Jessica Frith on the back post, who made no mistake and opened the scoring for Leyland.

Two minutes later Lancaster and Morecambe fought back and smacked two shots on target, but both attempts were thwarted by goalkeeper Alison Clewlow.

Leyland’s second came after some good work down the line from Frith, she drove into the D at pace, drew the defender out and sent the ball into the gap for Robb to smash the ball into the back of the net.

Top goalscorer Strickland was on hand to bury the third. Player-of-the-match and captain Sarah King used some swift stick skills to feed Strickland six minutes before full-time.

Leyland and Chorley Ladies 2nds braved the weather to earn a 2-0 victory over Lytham ladies.

The game was stopped after 55 minutes due to the severe conditions but Leyland were awarded all the three points.

Lytham started well but Leyland and Chorley gathered momentum as the half went on.Smart midfield play from Marie Meagher, Hayley Billington, Rachel Yarwood and Michelle Alty created many opportunities within the D.

Unfortunately they were unable to get the ball past the Lytham defence.

Lytham launched a counter-attack and new goalkeeper Claire Musgrave made a great stop with her right boot.

Leyland’s first goal was started by Jo Heald who picked out Billington in open space, using her speed she was able to dribble the ball into the D finding Sarah Maycock.

Maycock weaved her way past four of Lytham defenders and smacked a fierce shot into the back of the net.

LCHC upped the tempo in the second half but weather conditions started to deteriorate rapidly.

Vicky Pilkington impressed on the right wing, driving the ball up the pitch creating chances for Maycock and Alty. But their shots were saved by Lytham’s keeper.

Leyland scored their second in similar fashion to the first as Lauren Pickup launched another counter-attack.

The ball ended up in the opposition D and LCHC gained a penalty corner. The ball was slipped to Alty and she coolly slotted the ball past the keeper.

Minutes later the umpires stopped the game at 55 minutes and agreed to award Leyland the three points.