Fran-tasy hockey for Garstang girls

Fran Summers
Fran Summers
Share this article
Have your say

Garstang ladies’ 1sts continued their winning streak with a 3-0 victory against Pendle 2nds thanks to a Fran Summers hat-trick.

With the majority of the game being played in Pendle’s half, Garstang struggled to convert their attempts at goal in the first half.

Pendle’s keeper was an asset to their team thwarting Garstang’s attackers time and again, saving all that was thrown her way.

After a short regroup at half-time, Garstang found their flair and started to play the kind of hockey they are capable of.

Diane Roe and Alice Matthews made excellent runs down the flanks causing havoc with Pendle’s defence.

A struggle in the D from Pendle’s defence allowed Summers to turn the defender and lift the ball into the goal after the keeper hit the floor.

Garstang’s defence were solid in their play, which gave the other players the confidence to push up into the D.

Josie Rice and Lyndsey Hayes teamed up well to provide excellent balls to the attackers and pressure Pendle players off the ball.

After a number of short corners, Garstang finally managed to convert one with a shot from Alice Matthews rebounding off the keeper to Summers at the top of the D.

She fired home her second goal with a lifted shot into the net.

Garstang’s midfield continued to control the game with some fluent play and it was only a matter of time before they extended their lead.

The third goal came from another great team effort finishing with Matthews again making a surging run into the D, and she then passed to Summers, who rounded the keeper and slotted the ball into the corner of the net.

It was another confident performance from the girls and a second successive clean sheet of the season.

l Garstang ladies 2nds scored a stunning 14-1 victory at home to Southport 2nds.

The hosts were without three key players including rising star young Zoe Mather in goal. Gemma Livesey gallantly donned the keeper’s kit.

Garstang opened their account after less than four minutes through Olivia Mason.

Georgie Hampson scored the second on her return from university. Wendy Howarth made it 3-0.

Fi Dundas came on for Mason and scored another two goals and by half-time, Garstang were 6-0 ahead.

Howarth and Hampson were among the second-half scorers.

Southport, to their credit, then held back the torrent for 16 minutes despite being held in a court press by Garstang.

Garstang defenders Louise Shaw, Caroline Hampson Ellie Harrison and Ellie Moss kept sending the ball straight back up to the Southport D.

Captain Helen Howarth was in top form but despite a powerful performance did not score.

Completely against the run of play, Southport scored on the break.

Garstang then broke through again, scoring twice more, including a first goal for new girl Fran Williams-Tanton to round off a successful afternoon for the happy