Wolves v PNE memory match

Wolves' Craig Davies (right) and Kevin OConnor (left) tussle for the ball with PNE's Jason Jarrett in August 2006
Wolves' Craig Davies (right) and Kevin OConnor (left) tussle for the ball with PNE's Jason Jarrett in August 2006
Share this article
Have your say

Preston North End’s Friday night trip to Wolves in August 2006 gave Paul Simpson his first victory as Lilywhites manager.

Two goals from David Nugent and a Simon Whaley strike delivered a 3-1 win at Molineux in front of the Sky Sports cameras.

Simpson had overseen a draw and defeat in the opening two games of his tenure after succeeding Billy Davies that summer.

This clash did not start the way he would have wished either, with Wolves taking an early lead.

Nugent soon brought the visitors level though, and in the second half North End stamped their authority on the game.

The double from Nugent came the day after he had been called up to the England Under-21s squad for a game against Moldova.

Along the touchline from Simpson was his former Manchester City team-mate Mick McCarthy, who had just taken over at Wolves.

McCarthy saw the home side take the lead in the 14th minute.

Jay Bothroyd got the ball on the right wing and muscled his way past Liam Chilvers a bit too easily.

He cut inside into the box, checked on to his left foot, before beating PNE goalkeeper Carlo Nash with a low shot at the near post.

The visitors were level within eight minutes as Nugent struck his first goal of the season.

Danny Pugh curled over a corner from the right which Wolves keeper Matt Murphy came to deal with on the edge of the six-yard box.

His punch was not the most convincing, the ball falling to Sean St Ledger 12 yards out. His shot bounced into the ground and fell to Nugent, who turned and hooked a 
first-time shot into the net.

There was confusion at first as to whether the goal had been allowed, with a player from each side down on the ground after a clash of 

However, referee Uriah Rennie signalled for the goal after waving on both teams’ physios.

North End really stepped up their game after getting themselves back into the contest and went on to put in an impressive display.

Murray made a good save at his near post from a Nugent shot and early in the second half, the keeper got a glove to a Kelvin Wilson header.

Pugh put a shot just wide before Preston went in front in the 65th minute.

Nugent caught Wolves midfielder Karl Henry in possession and set off towards goal, weaving past a couple of challenges before shooting low past Murray from the edge of the box.

Whaley tested the keeper with a shot soon after, before Wolves briefly rallied.

Nash positioned himself well behind a long-range effort from Jamie Clapham.

PNE assured themselves victory in the last minute, Jody Craddock misplacing a headed clearance under pressure from substitute Patrick Agyemang.

Whaley pounced on the error and drove goalwards before rolling a low shot past the wrong-footed Murray.

The win was the start of an 11-game unbeaten run in the league for North End, one which stretched into late October that year.