Full-time: PNE 3 Rotherham 3

Share this article
Have your say

Preston North End fought back from a two goal deficit to secure a 3-3 draw with promotion rivals Rotherham United.

North End appeared to have completed a miraculous comeback when Joe Garner nodded the Lilywhites in front for the first time in the 65th minute.

Preston manager Simon Grayson

Preston manager Simon Grayson

But Lee Frecklington - who opened the scoring for the Millers in the sixth minute with an angled shot - had the last word, tapping home an 88th minute equaliser to earn a point for the Yorkshiremen.

North End manager Simon Grayson made one change to the side that beat Colchester 2-1 away on Saturday.

Scott Wiseman returned from injury to the starting XI as Jack King moved to the bench. Whilst John Welsh missed his second match in a row with a swollen knee.

In a tale of two halves North End found themselves 2-0 down inside the first nine minutes - Frecklington ran into space on the right-hand side before smashing the ball past Rudd into the top left hand corner from an acute angle.

And then Ben Pringle fizzed a free-kick from the right in the ninth minute into the box and Tom Clarke nodded the ball beyond his own keeper Rudd after the ball skimmed over a flurry of heads.

PNE slowly edged their way back into the game as Paul Gallagher won a set-piece in a promising position on the right-hand side for North End - but the Lilywhites could not capitalise and Rotherham extinguished the threat in the 23rd minute.

In the 26th minute Wes Thomas went down under pressure from Bailey Wright in PNE’s box but referee James Adcock waved away Rotherham’s penalty appeal.

Craig Davies skewed a half chance for North End in the 32nd minute. He wriggled free of his marker in the area but his snatched effort flew to safety.

But minutes later Davies smashed the ball into the back of the net in the 37th minute after he latched on to Gallagher’s flick-on. The striker coolly placed the ball into the right-hand corner past Rotherham keeper Adam Collin.

North End upped the tempo in the second half and their dominance of possession nearly paid dividends in the 59th minute but Clarke headed over the bar from a Paul Gallagher corner.

But just a minute later Gallagher levelled for PNE as his sweet curling shot from the edge of the penalty area nestled into the bottom left-hand corner.

Almost immediately Rotherham launched a counter-attack and Wright stepped up to make an important block and deny substitute Nicky Adams.

But Garner pounced on a Chris Humphrey cross to head Preston North End in front. The striker rose above his marker and nodded the ball downwards past Collin in the 65th minute.

Davies tried his luck from just outside the box in the 71st minute but the angle was too narrow and Collin gathered his fierce shot.

Josh Brownhill made an intimidate impact linking up with Davies and teeing Garner up on the edge of the area. The striker was poised to smack the ball on target but was hassled by a recovering Rotherham player and his effort trickled out for a PNE corner in the 76th minute.

Clarke made a great last-ditch tackle to deny Frecklington after some slick play from James Tavernier who weaved his way down the right-hand side in the 83rd minute.

And Frecklington’s threat was not to be thwarted as he popped up to equalise for the Millers in the 88th minute. The midfielder pounced on some confusion between Rudd and Scott Laird to touch the ball home from three yards out as it pinged around North End’s penalty box.

Garner appealed for a penalty as he touched the ball past Collin late on but the referee booked the striker for simulation as PNE had to settle for a draw.

PNE: Rudd, Keane, Laird, Clarke, Wright, Humphrey, Gallagher (Brownhill, 75), Garner, C Davies, Wiseman (King, 81), Kilkenny. Subs: Stuckmann, Davies, Buchanan, Beavon, Holmes.

Rotherham: Collin, Skarz (Vuckic, 85), Arnason, Davis, Frecklington, Revell, Pringle, Agard, Thomas (Adams, 51), Tavernier Smallwood (O’Connor, 67). Subs: Shearer, Morgan, Addison, Hitchcock.

Attendance: 9,524 (925, Rotherham)

Referee: James Adcock (Nottingham)