Nardiello is Shrimps’ chief tormenter

Shaun Beeley scored a consolation goal
Shaun Beeley scored a consolation goal
Share this article
Have your say

Morecambe bowed out of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy as they suffered a 3-1 defeat against League Two rivals Bury at Gigg Lane.

The Shrimps were undone by a poor first-half performance which saw them turn round two goals down.

Despite a better second-half showing, they could not fight their way back into the tie.

Daniel Nardiello has been a constant torment for the Shrimps over the years and he added to his goal tally against them with both first-half strikes.

Jim Bentley’s side made a shocking start to the game and could have been a goal down in the opening seconds.

Nicky Adams beat the offside trap and raced through on goal but instead of shooting he looked to square the ball to Nardiello which gave the Shrimps time to recover.

Bury continued to dominate.Andrew Tutte saw a shot deflected narrowly wide and Nardiello bore down on goal only to see his shot cleared by the covering Ryan Edwards.

Ex-North End midfielder Danny Mayor fired wide from 20 yards before the home side took the lead when the referee spotted Shaun Beeley’s handball on 14 minutes and Nardiello made no mistake from the spot.

The Shrimps hit back with Andy Fleming heading Alan Goodall’s cross narrowly wide and Jack Redshaw forcing a block from Nathan Cameron.

Ryan Williams should have done better when he dragged a shot wide before David Flitcroft’s side doubled their lead on 39 minutes when Adams ghosted past Edwards and teed up Nardiello.

Morecambe made a bright start to the second half with Williams’ 40-yard free-kick forcing Shwan Jalal to save.

And they were rewarded with a goal on 74 minutes when Beeley ran on to Tom McCready’s pass to drill a low shot into the far corner.

Williams nearly equalised with a stunning 30 yard free-kick that crashed off the post.

But any hopes of a comeback were dashed when Ryan Lowe took advantage of a late Barry Roche slip.

Morecambe: Roche, Beeley, Edwards, Hughes, Goodall, Kenyon (rep McCready 68), Fleming, Williams, Devitt, Amond (rep (Mullin 65), Redshaw (rep Sampson 68). Subs not used: Arestidou, McGowan.

Referee: Graham Salisbury

Attendance: 1,681