Another defeat on the road for Shrimps

Paul Mullin (left) missed Morecambe's best chance to earn a point
Paul Mullin (left) missed Morecambe's best chance to earn a point
Share this article
Have your say

Morecambe slumped to their second League Two away defeat of the week when they went down 1-0 to AFC Wimbledon at Kingsmeasdow.

Once again they were undone by the giant Ade Akinfenwa who maintained his goalscoring exploits from previous years against Morecambe to give the AFC Wimbledon the three points.

The game started at a frantic pace.

Danny Bulman tested Barry Roche with a shot from 25 yards in the third minute of the game and Akinfenwa went close with a fine volley on the turn which sailed inches wide of the left hand post.

The home side’s pressure continued with George Francomb firing into the side netting at the far post and Alan Bennett failing to find the target when left free in the box.

Akinfenwa gave the home side the lead in the 27th minute.

Bennett was given far too much time to swing in a cross from the left and the giant striker was left unmarked in the box to head past Roche from close range.

Morecambe found some fluidity towards the end of the half and had a penalty appeal turned down when Paul Mullin’s shot was blocked.

Then Ryan Williams tested James Shea with a superb 40-yard free-kick that was heading for the top right-hand corner.

The second half saw Akinfenwa go close to a second with a stinging shot on the turn that was turned away by Roche at full stretch.

Morecambe’s first effort of note came on 68 minutes when Kevin Ellison teed up Paul Mullin but his shot was parried over the bar by Shea.

The young striker was then guilty of missing the Shrimps’ best chance six minutes from time when he had an open goal six yards out but somehow headed wide of the target.

Wimbledon: Shea; Fuller, Barrett, Bennett, Harrison; Francomb, Bulman, Moore, Rigg (Kennedy 85), Azeez (Beere 80), Akinfenwa. Subs (not used): McDonnell, Phillips, Nicholson, Sainte-Luce, Frampton.

Morecambe: Roche; Beeley, Parrish, Edwards, Widdowson; Kenyon, Goodall (Redshaw 60); Amond, Williams, Ellison; Mullin: Subs (not used): Arestidou, Hughes, Wright, Sampson, McCready, McGowan.

Referee: D Drysdale

Attendance: 3,822