Weather wrecks weekend’s action

Vernon Carus bowler Joe Allen catches Withnell Fold skipper Michael Atkinson off his own bowling
Vernon Carus bowler Joe Allen catches Withnell Fold skipper Michael Atkinson off his own bowling
Share this article
Have your say

The weather was the winner at the weekend as no game in the Moore and Smalley Palace Shield Premier Division reached a conclusion.

Not a ball was bowled in the top-of-the-table clash between Garstang and Great Eccleston, while the covers did not come off the pitch at Thornton Cleveleys as their match against 
BAC/EE Preston also fell by the wayside.

Fifty-four overs were bowled at Bush Lane as Freckleton and Longridge tried to force a result.

Reduced to 31 overs per side, the home side won the toss and elected to bat first.

Opener James Whitehead carried his bat through the innings to finish unbeaten on 39 but Freckleton struggled as they lost wickets at regular intervals.

Only two other batsmen managed to reach double figures as they closed on 95-6. Ian Simpson impressed with the ball, taking 4-48.

In reply, Longridge also found batting conditions difficult as they lost their top five cheaply, with Jamie Hogarth (3-9) and Jonathan Millward (2-17) among the wickets.

Jason Holgate (15 not out) and Tom Howarth (18 not out) provided some stability for the visitors.

However, the dark clouds overhead brought a premature end to proceedings with Longridge on 55-5 in the 24th over of their innings.

Reigning champions Vernon Carus saw their perfect 100% record ended by the weather just 23 overs into their match against bottom side Withnell Fold at Factory Lane.

Home skipper Paul Chapman Junior won the toss and asked the visitors to have first used of the wicket.

They earned some early success as both opening batsmen were sent back to the pavilion cheaply.

But Michael Atkinson (22) and Josh Cunliffe (16 not out) edged Fold to 51-3 before the match was abandoned.

Fulwood and Broughton managed to reach 105-4 against Penwortham at Middleforth Green thanks, in the main, to Mark Smith, who struck 11 fours and one maximum hit in a swashbuckling knock of 60.

Unfortunately, the weather intervened after 23 overs causing the match to be abandoned.

In the final match of the day, Whittingham and Goosnargh were 31-1 versus Fylde when the game was called off after seven overs.

Only one match survived in the Northern League on Saturday as Blackpool recorded an excellent away win at Barrow.

Namibian professional Christi Viljoen was the hero as he took 7-26 to rout the home side for just 81 as they chased 140 for victory.

Only opener Kaustubh Pawar (45) managed to master the wicket as Richard Gleeson also chipped in with three wickets.

Earlier, Blackpool, who had been put into bat has posted 139-8 off 50 overs.

Paul Danson hit 40 and was ably supported by both Alex Smith (35) and Steven Mercer (26 not out).

The only other match in the Northern League to see a ball delivered was the one involving Chorley and St Annes at Windsor Park.

The home side had reached 13-2 off 5.1 overs when the inclement weather brought an end to proceedings.