Chorley delivering a knockout punch

Iain Dickinson hit 84 in Chorley's cup victory over Blackpool
Iain Dickinson hit 84 in Chorley's cup victory over Blackpool
Share this article
Have your say

Chorley pulled off a resounding victory over Blackpool in the ECB National Knockout.

They won by 105 runs at Windsor Park and will face Northern League opposition again in the next round in the shape of Darwen.

It is a competition much loved by Chorley after three consecutive appearances in the Lord’s final in the 1990s, two of which they won.

Blackpool won the toss in Sunday’s encounter and asked Chorley to bat first.

The home side took full advantage of batting on their home track, putting a very decent 184-9 on the board after a slightly delayed start.

Ian Dickinson top-scored with a knock of 84, the No.3 batsman hitting six fours and one six along the way before losing his wicket to the bowling of Richard Gleeson.

Mohammed Jamal added 30 and Jack Catterall 20.

For Blackpool, Gleeson finished with figures of 3-33 and Alex Smith 3-23.

The Chorley bowling attack then shone with the ball as they skittled out their visitors for just 79 in 28 overs.

Matthew Houston and No.11 Ben Howarth were the only Blackpool batsman to make it into double figures.

Gaurav Dhar claimed 3-21, while Billy Smith, Chris Harty and Will Moulton took a pair of wickets each.

Chorley’s cup victory saw them swiftly bounce back from an agonising defeat in the Northern League at Penrith the day before.

They lost by just one run in their visit to Cumbria. They elected to bowl first after winning the toss and restricted league newcomers Penrith to 148-8 in 42 overs.

Billy Smith performed well with the ball, returning 5-51, with Dhar taking 2-54.

In reply, Chorley were struggling at 45-5 at one stage before middle order pair Moulton and Catterall steadied the ship.

Catterll struck 40 off 70 deliveries and Moulton 19.

Last pair Richard Flood and Harty took Chorley to within one run of equalling Penrith’s first-innings tally before Harty was bowled.

That was one of only three games to be played in the Northern League on a wet Saturday afternoon, with the Moore and Smalley Palace Shield totally washed out.

St Annes were winners by three wickets in their visit to Lancaster.

It was a game interrupted by the weather, and it was initially reduced to 45 overs per side.

Lancaster were asked to bat first and were 105 all out, Iain Burstow hitting 30 and Charlie Swarbrick 14.

There were four wickets Lukman Vahaluwala, with Mitchell Bolus taking 3-25 and Toby Bulcock 2-56.

After a rain delay, St Annes were set a reduced target of 90 for victory in 41 overs.

They achieved it inside 32 overs, scoring 90-7.

Fleetwood’s home clash with Barrow ended in a draw, the game cut to 25 overs per side.