One step at a time for new pro Scott

Scott Fitzgerald
Scott Fitzgerald
Share this article
  • Preston’s new boxing professional Scott Fitzgerald not looking too far ahead
  • Former Larches and Savick Amateur Boxing Club star targeting a British Title
  • His first fight will take place in Liverpool on November 7
0
Have your say

Preston boxer Scott Fitzgerald is keeping his feet firmly on the ground despite being tipped to become a future world champion.

The 23-year-old Commonwealth Games gold medal winner announced this week that he was turning professional after a glittering career as an amateur.

The aim for me is to win a British Title

The former National ABA champion has signed a pro deal with Eddie Hearn’s promotion company Matchroom Boxing.

The promoter – who boasts a number of high-profile fighters under his wing and also guided legendary middleweight Carl Froch to the pinnacle of the sport – believes Fitzgerald has a great future ahead of him.

Hearn said: “I am very excited about his future.

“Scott was an exceptional amateur and was part of the outstanding GB set-up, culminating in Commonwealth Games gold last year. I believe he has a great style for the pro game.”

Fitzgerald’s memorable performances at the Commonwealths in Glasgow caught the eye of many expert judges in the sport, most notably ex-world featherweight champion Barry McGuigan.

And the light middleweight’s trainer – Preston-based Karl Ince – believes his man has all the necessary requirements to reach the very top of the sport.

But despite being fiercely ambitious, Fitzgerald is refusing to make any bold predictions about his future at this stage as he prepares for his first professional bout in just under seven weeks’ time. “The aim for me is to win a British Title,” Fitzgerald told the Evening Post.

“That is all I have got my eyes on for now.

“Once that is done then I can go from there and start thinking about bigger titles.

“If I was to win a British Title, I would absolutely love that. At the moment, I am not looking beyond that.

“But I have got myself in this position now and it’s up to me to make the most of it.

“It’s up to me to work hard, do my best all the time and not let anybody down.”

Fitzgerald – who will also continue to work with his trainer dad Dave – is set to get his pro career under way on Saturday, November 7, where he will feature against an opponent yet to be confirmed on the undercard of the blockbuster Callum Smith-versus-Rocky Fielding fight at the Liverpool Arena.

In what will be a busy schedule for the ex-Larches and Savick Amateur Boxing Club fighter, he will then be back in action two weeks later on the same bill as Anthony Crolla’s rematch with Darleys Perez at the Manchester Arena on Saturday, November 21.

“It’s a busy schedule,” Fitzgerald said. “I’ve got two fights in November and then one possibly in December.

“But it’s what I want. I want to come out of this year with at least two, maybe three, fights.

“I’m all ready to go now. I’m just looking forward to my first fight. I am in great shape and hopefully I can go and do a job on my opponent.”