The start of Scott Fitzgerald’s professional boxing career has been put on hold after the light-middleweight star suffered a fractured thumb in training.
The Commonwealth Games champion sustained the injury while sparring with Cumbrian fighter Rick Skelton and underwent surgery earlier this week.
After being signed by Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom Boxing last week, Fitzgerald was set to feature on two major boxing bills in November.
On November 7, Fitzgerald was due to make his pro debut on the blockbuster Callum Smith-versus-Rocky Fielding fight at the Liverpool Arena.
And then two week later, he was on the same bill as Anthony Crolla’s rematch with Darleys Perez at the Manchester Arena on Saturday, November 21.
However, he has been forced to pull out of both scheduled appearances and will be out of action for at least eight weeks.
His trainer dad Dave said: “He’s a bit down, but Eddie Hearn told him not to worry and to get himself back fit.
“It’s a shame because they were two massive shows to be on and he would probably have been on Sky Sports.
“He’s on about getting on the Anthony Joshua bill on December 12 at the London O2, but I don’t really want him to.
“I told him to make sure he’s totally right first – it’s no good him beginning his pro career half-hearted.”
There is a possibility that Fitzgerald may now make his pro debut at the Guild Hall next year.