A woman in her 50s had a “lucky escape” from an early hours kitchen fire according to firefighters.
Crews were called to a house in Sion Close, Ribbleton, at 1.15am on Sunday after neighbours heard a smoke alarm sounding.
When they looked through the letter box, fire and rescue officers could see a woman lying on the floor and managed to speak to her, to tell her to open the door.
Preston Watch Manager Mark Woodward said: “Luckily she was under the level of the smoke and was able to crawl to the door and let us in.
“She was taken to hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation, and we spent about an hour tackling a fire on the hob and ventilating the property.
“What happened was a bottle of oil had fallen onto a hob that was turned on.
“The lady was very lucky that the smoke alarm alerted the residents nexct door and she wasn’t more seriously hurt.
“It shows the importance of having a working smoke alarm and that you should never leave cooking unattended.”