Warning after wood burner causes shed blaze

editorial image
Share this article
0
Have your say

Firefighters today issued a warning after a blaze caused by an unattended wood burner,

Three fire engines from Bamber Bridge and Chorley attended a blaze in a shed outside a property on Mendip Road, Clayton le Woods, near Chorley, yesterday which had spread to the house.

The fire came from a wood burner which had been used the previous evening in the garden which had been left unattended in the shed. It was initially believed that people were trapped inside the house, and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used thermal imaging cameras to search the property and found that no-one was inside.

They used hosereels to put out the fire which totally destroyed the shed and damaged the house.

Crew Manager Dave Widdop said: “Under no circumstances shoudl wood burners or BBQs be left unattended when there is a risk that hot coals or warm embers may still be present. This incident also stressed the importance of having working smoke alarms.

“At this property there were no alarms in place. At first we thought we were looking for people trapped in the fire - luckily the residents of the property were out but if they were in, they had no working smoke alarms to alert them,”

Contact www.lancsfirerescue.org.uk for details of home fire safety checks.