Warning after cooking fires

Fire
Fire
Share this article
0
Have your say

Firefighters in Bamber Bridge were called to two near identical kitchen fires at flats in Martindale, Clayton Brook, on Wednesday night.

At 10pm, crews attended a ground floor flat, smokelogged after an elderly man left a pan on the hob unattended.

The man was seen on the floor, but managed to get up to let firefighters in. He was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

Around midnight, crews were called to the flat above, after more smells of smoke. They forced entry after the male occupant could not be rowsed from bed.

The man then woke in a panic and officers found another unattended pan on the hob.

Officers have urged people not to cook when tired, and to use timers in the kitchen.